The purpose of this document is to provide practical guidance to Principals and pastors in processing enrolment applications to systemic Catholic secondary schools in the Sutherland Shire. Parents may also find this document useful in understanding the processes used by schools.
Processes outlined in this document are mandatory and form the basis for enrolment procedures at the local level. They are intended to support Principals in their implementation of the Sydney Archdiocesan Catholic Schools’ Board Enrolment Policy 1997.
An enrolment committee will be established by each school to advise the Principal on enrolment matters. This committee will include the following: the Principal, a Primary Principal, a Parish Priest of one of the designated feeder parishes and two parents.
While the Catholic systemic school must endeavour to provide opportunities for evangelisation whenever possible, the priority for enrolment is given in the following order.
Order of Acceptance
1. Baptised Catholic children of regularly worshipping Catholic families with strong demonstrable links to the local designated feeder parish or parishes.
2. Siblings of children already attending the college whose families have demonstrated ongoing support for the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
3. Children of families currently enrolled at the designated Catholic feeder schools who have demonstrated ongoing support for the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
4. Children of families who have 'special pastoral circumstances' as assessed by the Enrolment Committee or, where appropriate, the school Principal and/or priests of associated parishes in conjunction with the Principal.
5. Children of Catholic families not covered above or who are outside the local designated Catholic feeder schools/parishes.
6. Children of regularly worshipping Orthodox families who have strong demonstrable links to their faith community and who are prepared to support the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
7. Children of regularly worshipping families from other Christian denominations who have strong demonstrable links to their faith community and who are prepared to support the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
8. Children of Orthodox families who are prepared to support the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
9. Children of families from other Christian denominations who are prepared to support the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
10. Children of families from other faith traditions or non-religious backgrounds who are prepared to support the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
All children are enrolled on the condition that they and their parents agree to respect and abide by the Catholic mission of the school, including the religious education it offers for their children, and all the policies and procedures of that school.
Within the above categories consideration may be given to students with siblings already in the school.
Principals will confer when an individual application is received from outside the school’s feeder school(s) or parish(es). The Principal of the school to which the application is made will inform the Principal of the designated school and consult with them about the circumstances of the application, before an enrolment offer is made.
A Principal may enrol a student for specific pastoral reasons in consultation with the Principal of the student’s designated school.